A humidifier does the simple job of increasing the humidity in your house. Like all home appliances, there are various kinds of humidifiers available on the market with significant differences in their design and function. We researched the specifications of a number of humidifiers and came up with a list of the best available on the market today. If you are searching for the best humidifier in Canada, take a look at our recommendations for this important purchase.
Our top pick for the best humidifier in Canada is the TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier. We love that the tank holds enough water for a full night of humidifying as you sleep. To be exact the tank holds 4 litres and lasts for at least 12 hours in one session. You can keep track of the humidity level with a built-in humidistat, and change the levels as you please. It has great user features such as a sleep mode, nightlight and is super quiet so it will not disturb you as you sleep. Not to mention, the built-in humidistat keeps you informed about the ambient humidity and helps you adjust the mist spray level.
|Name||Capacity||Estimated Applicable Area||Control Method||Price|
|1. TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier (Best Overall)||4L||up to 322 square feet||Button Control||$$|
|2. Levoit Warm & Cool Mist Humidifier||5.5L||up to 753 square feet||Button Control||$$|
|3. TaoTronics Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier||3.5L||up to 322 square feet||Dial Knob||$|
|4. Levoit Cool Mist Humidifier||4.5L||up to 538 square feet||Button Control||$$|
|5. Honeywell Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier||3.79L||up to 150 square feet||Dial Knob||$|
Why Does Your House Need A Humidifier?
Still not convinced as to why you should be spending money on a new appliance? It may seem even more undesirable during winter when you are already loaded with power bills due to constantly running heating systems. However, investing in a humidifier is absolutely worth it, and the initial cost can lead to major savings in the long run. Here are the two key reasons why a humidifier will turn out to be a great investment for you and your family.
A Healthy Benefit For Your Family
A humidifier dispenses a thin mist into the atmosphere, thereby increasing the humidity level in that area. This added moisture works like a charm during winters when the indoor heaters are on in full swing. You may notice easier breathing, more comfortable skin and an overall better sense of physical wellbeing, especially when waking up in the morning.
A Superb Addition To Your House
Dry air not only puts your health at risk but also causes damage to your property if left unattended. Lack of humidity can make your pretty wallpapers peel away from the walls. Also, your wood furnishings and wooden flooring can crack or warp as the lack of moisture causes the wood to become too dry, therefore cracking or splitting, (similar to dry skin). This can lead to uninvited home maintenance expenses, and nobody likes that!
A high-quality humidifier in Canada can save you a lot of money on house repair bills which puts the initial cost of the humidifier in perspective when considering the bigger picture. In saying that, the humidifiers we have chosen for our best of the best list are all pretty affordable, so you will not have to break the bank to get a great model.
Humidifier vs. Dehumidifier
Just in case you were wondering about the difference between a humidifier and a dehumidifier, here is a quick explanation. It is self-explanatory, but it can be confusing if you are very new to the world of household appliances.
- A humidifier, as we know, adds moisture to the air via a very fine mist spray. A humidifier solves the issue of dry air which can cause irritated skin and nasal passages.
- A dehumidifier takes the humidity and moisture out of the air. Houses that have not been built with sufficient insulation or sun exposure can have issues with excess humidity and moisture. This leads to dampness, mould, mildew, rotting floors and carpets, and deteriorating walls. Excess dampness in the air can cause constant illness for the inhabitants of the home.
Humidifier Vs. Vaporizer
You may also be wondering what the difference is between a humidifier and a vaporizer, or even an essential oil diffuser. Well, they both have basically the same idea and intention behind them: to add moisture to the air to combat the effects of a dry environment.
The key difference is that the humidifier uses cold water to disperse mist into the air, but the vaporizer uses hot water to release steam. People with children tend to prefer humidifiers because they do not pose the risk of spilling hot water.
Best Humidifiers Canada 2020 Reviewed
The TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier comes with a 4L tank capacity and is the perfect size for a medium to large size room. One refill of water can last up to 12-30 hours which is great for a busy household with more pressing things to do than constantly changing a humidifier tank.
The built-in humidistat detects the ambient humidity and displays it on the informative LED screen. This helps you monitor the surrounding humidity and figure out what level of moisture keeps you in the best health. The “Sleep Mode” turns off the lights on the LED display so you can enjoy an undisturbed sleep without distracting lights. You can also choose to keep the LED nightlight on instead if you prefer a guiding light for finding your way if you need to get out of bed during the night but do not want to switch the main room light on.
The mist output is adjustable. You can choose from three mist levels based on the surrounding humidity. You can also choose your desired humidity level, and TaoTronics recommends aiming for 40-60%. This is an ultrasonic humidifier so it produces less than 38 dB of noise when working, making it very quiet, ideal for bedroom usage.
We like that the machine automatically turns off when the tank runs out of water so you do not need to constantly monitor it. It comes with microporous cartridge filters which should be changed 3-6 months for the best operation. To sum it up, it is the best option when you are thinking of a humidifier in Canada!
The Levoit warm and cool mist humidifier, as the name suggests, lets you choose from warm and cool mist options. With a huge water tank of 5.5L capacity, this works great for large spaces like living rooms and basements. It has an impressive mist output of 450ml per hour and can run up to 36 hours on a single filling. This is great for busy people who want to turn the machine on and leave it for at least a day without having to worry about refilling the tank.
The design of this humidifier is very thoughtful and modern. The aesthetic is fresh and white with curved lines and a transparent water tank. It has a touch control panel on the front-facing side, an intuitive LED display and remote control for excellent user-friendliness and convenience. The machine has a customizable 12-hour timer which allows you to specify the running time and shut-off time. It also allows you to choose from five cool or warm mist settings depending on your current room temperature.
If you are sure about the percentage of humidity you want in your space, you can set the specific number. Or you can select the Auto Mode and let the humidifier manage the mist output based on the ambient temperature. There is an indicator of relative humidity and ambient temperature to help you stay aware of your surroundings.
The humidifier is equipped with an aroma diffuser and two aroma pads for a fragrant experience. You can add essential oils to help with sleep, relaxation or concentration etc. As for the noise, this machine works very quietly, ideal for bedroom use. For a better mist spray, there are two 360 degrees rotatable mist nozzles that can be positioned in any direction. There is also a built-in water filter for cleaner air.
The TaoTronics Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier is an amazing little humidifier in Canada with a water tank capacity of 3.5L. This model is similar to the TaoTronics model further above, but it has a slightly lower capacity, a different shape and a dial knob as opposed to a digital display screen. It has the same blue and white aesthetic with a transparent water tank.
This is a perfect option if you are searching for a humidifier you can fit in a small room. It can run for up to 10 hours before it needs a refill which is reasonable for its tank size. It will not wake you up in the middle of the night since it operates very quietly.
If you are already having health issues due to dry air, it is very important that the air be clean as well as humid. Therefore, it comes with a built-in ceramic filter that purifies tap water and also reduces bad odour. It is recommended that you change the filter every 4-6 months for the best results.
The mist spray function has 360-degree rotatable nozzles that ensure an expansive spray. You can adjust the level of mist being released by rotating the Easy Dial Knob Control. Also, this humidifier shuts off automatically as soon as it detects low water so you do not have to worry about keeping an eye on it to monitor the water level. Refilling the tank is easy and comfortable as there is a non-slip handle provided.
Are you looking for a humidifier in Canada that can handle your larger bedrooms or giant hallways? The Levoit Cool Mist Humidifier may be the best choice for you. It comes with a large water tank that can hold up to 4.5L of water. If you keep it on the low mist setting, the humidifier will surprise you with a runtime of 36 hours on a single filling. Who does not like a machine that can run for long periods of time without requiring any monitoring or maintenance?
It can be operated by anyone in the house, young or old since it has an easy one-touch control button. Use this button to choose three mist levels as per your needs. You can adjust the mist levels until you find the setting that serves you best, or as the natural humidity in the atmosphere changes.
This humidifier is endowed with “advanced ultrasonic cool mist technology” which produces barely a whisper of noise. This means that you can keep it in your bedroom without having to worry about waking up.
Another great thing about this humidifier is that it comes with an aroma box. All you have to do is pour your favourite essential oils into this box to fill your bedroom or living room with therapeutic aromas.
It also has an auto shut-off feature so you can forget about it when leaving for work. This is ideal if you have a busy life and you do not want another appliance that needs your attention. For your convenience, the water tank is extremely easy to fill up and clean.
Tired of coughing and trying to breathe through your congested nose in your house during this Canadian winter season? The Honeywell Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier is one appliance designed to solve all these problems and more.
This is a beautifully designed, compact machine that has a capacity of 3.8L/1-Gallon. With one single filling, it can run for up to 24 hours. The ultra-quiet operation means this is a great choice for bedroom and nighttime usage. You do not have to worry about shutting it off when leaving the house as it has an auto shut-off function.
The aesthetic is great, with a curved shape and blue-toned water tank. You have a choice between a black or white top/bottom so you can suit the humidifier to your room and overall decor. The control dial is simple and easy to use for all family members.
The outside temperatures are highly variable and some days are warmer than others. The Honeywell Ultrasonic allows you to control the amount of moisture produced using the variable moisture control in the machine.
Some Tips For Maintaining Your Humidifier
It is extremely important to keep your humidifier clean and maintained. If you do not clean the system, bacteria can build up, posing health issues when the mist is released into the air. To add more, the mineral build-up can cause a white powder dusted over your home which is dangerous when inhaled. A dirty humidifier negates the purpose of improving the health of your home. Here is how to care for your humidifier:
- Always read the instructions in the manual provided by the manufacturer! If you have any questions, remember to call up your manufacturer and get your questions answered.
- Each day, empty the water tank and thoroughly dry the interior of the tank before refilling with new, fresh water. This gets rid of any lurking or leftover bacteria and stops minerals from building up. And every few days (i.e. twice a week), empty the tank and give it a thorough scrub with detergent (mild dish detergent is fine), rinse out and ensure all of the detergent residues are gone, then dry.
- Consider using filtered water from a filter tap, or boiled and cooled water as this will help to minimize the risk of bacteria growing and being dispersed into your home.
- Keep an eye on the built-in filter if your humidifier has one. Check it every couple of days and clean it as soon as it looks soiled. You should be giving it a thorough clean twice a week to halt and prevent any bacteria build-up. Clean the filter according to the instructions in your manual. Distilled white vinegar is great for safely cleaning the filter and killing any and all bacteria.
Important Factors To Consider Before Purchasing A Humidifier
A humidifier is a significant investment for many people. So it is imperative that you have the required knowledge to make the right pick. Here is a list of important factors to help you find the best humidifier in Canada for your home:
- The size of the humidifier is important. Analyze the size of the area you are wanting to humidify and buy a humidifier accordingly.
- Some humidifiers deposit a thin film called mineral dust. This is not good for your health, so you should check for that before buying a humidifier (check reviews).
- It is important that you look for a humidifier that has an auto shut-off function. This will help you a great deal if you have to leave home for work or school regularly.
- You need to be sure of the sound level of a humidifier before buying it. You will likely be running the humidifier at night as you sleep, so it is crucial that the sound is low enough to leave you totally undisturbed.
- Look for a humidifier with a built-in filter, especially if the tap water in your region is questionable. A built-in filter will cleanse and clarify the water so you are not breathing in nasty particles or toxins.
- Humidifiers with a pre-installed humidistat are always best. The humidistat checks the surrounding humidity constantly. This can help you adjust the moisture spray from the machine to keep your room at the best moisture level possible.
- Take a close look at the construction and overall design of the humidifiers you are considering. Look for humidifiers with a sturdy construction without too many loose parts that can be prone to breaking. Consider the fact that this machine will be in your home, possibly your bedroom, so you want it to fit in with the rest of the room. Choosing a construction and overall style which you like will mean you are more likely to actually use the machine, get your money’s worth, and not have it end up in the cupboard. Many options on our list have attractive and simple designs that look great in any room and do not simply look like another bulky appliance.
Humidifiers are an important appliance for all homes. To draw the maximum benefits from a humidifier, you must do your research before buying so you can find the best match for your specific needs.
It is worth noting that if you are experiencing certain health issues that you suspect are connected to your home environment, talk to your doctor. A doctor is best suited to handle any questions or concerns about whether a humidifier might be best for your home.
If you are on the lookout for the best humidifier in Canada, we hope our complete guide can help you find one that suits you, your family and your home.