Some people have problems when it comes to learning how to clean an essential oil diffuser. It is because there are various types of different essential oil diffusers currently available in the market. Some people are confused if a particular cleaning method is appropriate for their device.
If you are a fan of aromatherapy and essential oils, then you know how important an essential diffuser can be for your home. It maximizes the benefit that you want to get from an essential oil. It works by breaking down your essential oil into small molecules before dispersing these tiny particles into the air. If you want to learn more about how essential oil diffusers work, read our article to learn more.
However, because oil is the main ingredient that you have to add to an essential oil diffuser, you know that water alone is not enough for cleaning your device. You also must not skip the cleaning task because the residue might breakdown the diffuser.
How to Clean Your Essential Oil Diffuser?
You must not skip cleaning because you certainly do not want to spend more money once your device breaks down. You either have to spend money to have someone clean it for you, or you do the cleaning yourself.
If you choose the latter, here is the simple way to do it:
Note: Unplug the device before the cleaning process.
- Make sure to read your manual before cleaning. In fact, if the cleaning procedure is written on the manual, you should follow it above the other cleaning processes suggested.
- Fill the diffuser’s container with water. Make sure not to go beyond the fill line.
- Add some drops of white vinegar. You may use citric acid as a vinegar alternative. If you will use citric acid, one tablespoon of it is enough. Since you cannot clean the device with water alone, an acid will do an excellent job of getting rid of the oil residue in the essential oil diffuser.
- Turn on the diffuser and let the water-vinegar solution run for approximately five minutes. If you use citric acid for cleaning, let the water-citric solution sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour the solution down the drain.
- Wipe it clean with a cotton swab. Make sure to clean hard-to-reach areas like the corners and tight spots.
- Rinse the device with water.
- Wipe and air dry.
What You Need to Remember
The best time to clean an essential oil diffuser is daily after use. In fact, the manufacturers of Canadian essential oil diffusers suggest that you wash it right after you use it. Although it is something that you do not want to add on the list of your household cleaning chores, you have to make yourself used to it because the oil residue buildup may wreck your device.
Never dare to make a mistake of leaving your essential oil sitting inside your diffuser for over 24-hours with thoughts that you are going to use it the other day anyway. The leftover smell can affect the new scent that you will put to the diffuser for the next time.
Also, take note to never forget to unplug your device before cleaning because it may lead to accidents.
Follow what is in the manual first before considering the advice of other people. Some manufacturers of essential oil diffusers void the product’s warranty if they find out that you have cleaned your device with vinegar. That is why it is advisable to talk to their customer support first to ask if using vinegar or acid for cleaning the device would void the warranty.
Moreover, please ask them how to properly clean your device if the cleaning procedure is not included in the manual.
If you’re still thinking about purchasing an essential oil diffuser, remember to read our guide!